Sunday, October 17, 2010

Retailing-J & R Music (Customer Service)


Well, after having broken my DVD player last weekend I had a need for a new one. I oput the trip off all week but finally visited J & R on Friday. I walked in and asked the first employee I saw where the DVD players were and he told me on the main floor. I went to the area and looked around. Time was drawing short because I had an appointment nearby. I thought to myself whether I could make my purchase and still be on time. The "X factor" was the lack of assistance at the store. After looking at all the machines, no one came to ask to assist me. The was a person standing not 5 feet from me but never said a word. I decided that it was better to go to my appointment and come back later. I came back an hour later and resumed my retail visit. I decided on the DVD player I wanted to purchase and had to approach a sales person and tell him which one I wanted. Is J & R making so much money that it doesn't need to assist customers. I believed that customer service was a necessary element of retailing.